Friday, October 25, 2013

Lucky 7

Today's Niko's birthday. He's 7 now.

Last night, after I read to him, I told him about the first time we met him. Kelly and I flew to the Bay Area and went to his foster mom's house. I had forgotten how little a 4-month old weighs, and used way too much torque when lifting him. But Kelly failed to remember that at that age he couldn't lift his own neck, and nearly popped the kid's head off. (That image made Niko burst out laughing.)

I told him about picking him up from the airport, and how he saw Gus and immediately reached out for him. And how he spent his first night in our home sleeping in an arm chair, nestled up against his visiting yia yia's chest.

As I told about his very early life with us, he kept nudging closer and closer to me. By the time I talked about the judge declaring we were a family, he had his arms wrapped around me in a full bear hug.

Happy birthday, "Bubba."
















1 comment:

  1. Many, many more happy and healthy birthdays, Mr. Niko. We love you.

    Theia Karen

    ReplyDelete