Thursday, October 17, 2013

Common Sense

Probably since the beginning of our Republic, people have argued that the government needs to gain some common sense. Now, we all have different views about what common sense is, and your version may not jive with mine. But every now and then an example comes along that proves "commonsensical" isn't an adjective that could ever be used to describe our government.

This is one such example:  In August, I received a letter from the Internal Revenue Service. I'd been "randomly" audited and they decided I owed them an additional $1,500.  A quick trip to my accountant, the information the IRS had missed was re-entered, and the amount I owed was reduced to the far more palatable $52. As I wrote the check, I was informed that they may ask for interest on that money, but since it was such a small amount it was doubtful.

Today I received another letter from the IRS. They do want the interest: $2.

Now, I don't have a problem paying the $2 - my tax return wasn't quite right and I owed the government a little extra, but how much did we as a nation lose coming after me for my $2? Maybe a little common sense could help us find our way out of the mess we're in.

You know, Thomas Jefferson once said, "I have great confidence in the common sense of mankind in general." Clearly, our third president never dealt with the IRS.






No comments:

Post a Comment