Monday, February 3, 2014

A Yia Yia's Boy

Growing up, I was very much my yia yia's boy. I was always at her house - even as a teenager. No one could cook like she did. No one made you feel as good about yourself as she did. No one was so old country charming as she was.

A few days ago, missing her, I posted on Facebook a photo I have of her.

My niece, who didn't know her, asked me to post a couple of more. So, I spent some time at my parents' taking pictures of pictures.
Long before she ever dreamed of being a grandmother.
 Some 30-35 years later, as a yia yia, with my brother Mike, circa 1951-2
In full yia yia mode, with all my siblings. John as baby means it's 1960.
  
  With "Theia"Ameriki Gouvisis (I think) sometime in the mid-50s after my papou passed.
Finally! The favorite has arrived! With me Christmas 1965 or '66.
Enjoying the family room bar. Apparently, plaid was all the rage in the mid 60s.
At my brother Dan's wedding in 1977 with my mom's grandmother the larger-than-life Eleanor Davidson. (By then Yia yia felt a black, grey or navy background counted as still being in mourning.)
In her famous garden.
 At my brother John's wedding in 1984. No that wasn't her hat!
In front of the new fire place in the early 1980s. 
 Probably 1984-5, not long before she passed.
When I die, I don't expect to be sitting on a cloud singing the praises of God. I expect to be sitting with my yia yia, holding hands, laughing, and feeling like the most important person in heaven.
With her namesake and her chrisouli - golden one - Christmas 1982.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photos Christo. Wonderful memories too. Thanks for sharing.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete