Monday, February 24, 2014

Sons of Arcadia

My grandparents hailed from the Greek state of Arcadia, which is situated on the east-central part of the Peloponnese. 
 
 Arcadia includes mountains and the most amazingly azure waters you've ever seen.
 
In mythology, Arcadia is home to the god Pan, the huntress Atalanta, and the 6th Labor of Herakles - the Stymphalian Birds.
In 1930, Arcadians in America formed the Pan-Arcadian Federation of America. It's a fraternal organization dedicated to promoting and preserving Hellenism, democracy, the Greek language, Orthodox Christianity, and philanthropy. For the past three years, I've been honored to serve as president of the Theodoros Kolokotronis chapter in Salt Lake.  
Kolokotronis - a son of Arcadia - was a great general during the Greek War of Independence.
To raise funds for our philanthropic work, we hold two annual fundraisers: a summer picnic, and our  makaronada - I guess best translated as "spaghetti feed."  Sunday at our makaronada we fed nearly 100 people. These are always a success because of the efforts of my cousin-in-law, George.
For me the makaronada, the summer picnic, even the PFA itself is not only a nod to my heritage and my past, it's a link to my future. The boys love helping at the makaronada.
These are memories they'll share with their children and grandchildren. "Tending bar," busing tables, leading everyone in the Lord's Prayer...in Greek.
These are the memories they'll have of a loving, embracing community proudly calling them sons of Arcadia.







No comments:

Post a Comment