Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Portraits of the Author as a Young Man

While I was looking through those old photos of my yia yia, I ran into more than a few photos of myself.  I am the first to admit that I was an odd and often awkward child. I like to think it built character. Take a look at me from infancy to the just before my teenage years. Go ahead and laugh, I did!

Baby on Board
 
I have always argued that not all babies are pretty. I am living proof of that!
That's me on the table, with Mike, Ted and Yia yia - circa 1965-6.
John being forced to interact with the alien child.
Happy birthday! March 1966, with Sandra and cousins Laura & David.
With Dad, circa 1966. I think this was the start of my goat obsession!
 Mom's little bundle of joy.
 Yet again John is forced to pretend to like me. (Check out that couch!)
The Boy Wonder
If I'm being really objective, I think I was a far cuter little boy than I was a baby. Even if I was blonde - a fact that never ceases to amaze and bewilder my kids.
 
Easter, when I was about 3, with Sandra. Mom made our outfits. Stylin'!
 On my Theia Mimi's bed.
 My 4th birthday. I was crying since I was shy and didn't like being the center of attention.
 With John and Dan in 1969 on vacation. Dan was obviously OK holding my hand. John not so much.
 Me with Chuvar, our friends the Saunders' dog - circa 1968-9.
Somewhere along the Pacific Coast on vacation in 1969. Pants a bit high?
This is when I broke my leg in 1972. Don't I look pathetic?
It's Christmas! Probably 1970-1. Color wheel on aluminum tree was cool.

Growing up
The '70s were just plain weird.
 From the width of the too-cool John's bell bottoms, I'd say 1972.
Hair's starting to get darker...and shaggier. Circa 1974-5.
 I loved my new King Oil board game! And yes, I'm wearing a turtle neck with a suit. Circa 1975.
With Yiayia and Theia Mimi. Probably 1975-6.
Andrea Wilburger and me at Midvale Elementary, 1976.
As I looked at these photos, I saw the typical awkward childhood. But also, I saw one filled with family, fun and loving memories. And that's what childhood is all about. I mean it certainly isn't about 12-year old boys in green polyester suits and disco hair cuts holding a bottle of  Seagrams VO at his brother's wedding in1977, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment