Friday, February 14, 2014

The Calla Lilies Are in Bloom Again

Valentine's Day has always been more about friendship and less about romance for me.  So I find it appropriate that yesterday, I said good bye to a friend of mine.

I met Russ through work when we both lived in San Francisco.  From the first time we talked on the phone, Russ and I hit it off. Sometimes, we'd just call each other to do our imitations of Katherine Hepburn. "The calla lilies are in bloom, again, Christopher!"

When Russ retired several years ago, he returned to live in his home state of Oklahoma, but we still kept in touch via Christmas cards and emails.He was a big fan of this blog and my column, and frequently shared them with his family and friends.

Well, not too long ago, Russ told me he had cancer.  In his Christmas card this past season, he mentioned he was still fighting it and planned to start chemo after the holidays.  That sounded hopeful.

Earlier this week, Russ sent an email telling his friends that to his surprise - and to the surprise of his doctor - the cancer has spread to his liver, and there was nothing that could be done. The medical team would stabilize him and send him to hospice.

Yesterday, I called Russ. To check in on him, try to make him laugh, and deep down I knew to say good bye. In our short conversation, even though he was clearly tired, Russ showed me the humor I loved, and the courage I always admired.  He told me he was headed to hospice today, but he didn't fear death. He said, "I've had a great life."

Hey Russ, the calla lilies are in bloom again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment