Monday, February 6, 2012

Keep Going

Recently, I wrote about taking Gus snowshoeing for the first time. Well, we made his sophomore trip this past Sunday. It was a perfect winter's day: blue skies, snow-covered mountains, and the solitude of nature.





At least that's how I will force myself to remember it. Because otherwise it was a snowshoeing trip where Gus alternated bursts of enthusiastic energy with fits of defeatism.





My desire not to leave him stranded in the snow was tempered only by my paternal instincts, my New Year's resolution to remember he's acting 8 because he is 8, and a very healthy fear of my mom's wrath if we actually did abandon him.

The good news is that progress was made: he forged on well past the first trip's stopping point, and made it to Willow Lake, where he traversed the frozen, snow-covered lake.



Next trip we've set a new goal: to reach the lake, and explore a little beyond.



And I know that each time we head out on our shoes, will teach Gus a deeper appreciation not only of being out in nature and its amazing beauty, but more importantly, he'll hopefully cherish the time spent with his dads.





Actually, he's already beginning to understand that. Driving back down into the Valley, as Kelly and I chatted, Gus' voice rose from the backseat, "Thanks for taking me snowshoeing, guys. It was AWESOME!"

1 comment:

  1. Isn't the music a tad upbeat. Don't you have The Volga Boatmen stashed away on an MP3 somewhere?

    ReplyDelete