Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Forever Free

Early on in this blog, I wrote about the challenges we faced with Gus and reading. It didn't come easy to him. It didn't open doors for him like it had for me as a child. There was no enjoyment in it. I am delighted to report that his reading skills are now on par with his peers. And that's music to my ears. He even has a favorite series of books.



Now, I don't know if he's ever going to be the type of man, who turns off the TV in favor of a page-turner, but I do know he finally sees the potential. I hope laughing along with him, reflecting together on what he's read, will help him gain an understanding about the power of reading. Only time will tell.



"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free," Fredrick Douglass.

No comments:

Post a Comment