Thursday, February 19, 2015

Not As Seen on TV

When I was a little boy, I loved the television show, Emergency!, which told the story of a Los Angeles paramedic crew saving people's lives. One of the character was more straight laced, and the other a fun-loving joker - he, naturally, was my favorite.
Over a period of 10 or so days, I had two child-related emergencies.  And neither of them was as glamorous or rib tickling as Emergency!

First, Gus did an overnight winter camp with his Boy Scout troop. Along the way, he was crashed into by a sled driven by boys from another troop, which then crashed into a second sled. Of the 400 kids at the camp, there was only one injury...to the Greek kid. Coincidence?

Anyway, upon his return, although he insisted he was fine, I took him to our local InstaCare just to be safe. There were no wisecracks, no handsome paramedics covered in grime. Just a matter-of-fact doctor, who felt around Gus's knee, ordered an x-ray, and whisked out of the room, before she told a nurse to wrap it in an Ace Bandage. For the next handful of days, Gus decided he needed to walk like someone from the Ministry of Funny Walks or a character on Gunsmoke.


Then earlier this week, I was cooking dinner, when Niko came flying through door, screaming. He had fallen off his scooter and chipped a tooth.I tried not to faint at the sight of the blood pouring from his broken lip, while I frantically called our wonderful dentist, who luckily was available for an emergency visit. 

Clutching my hand as if he was holding on for dear life, Niko braved the dentist. And left the office good as new. The only damage a fat lip, which he hid at Greek school behind my handkerchief. I think he thought he looked rather mysterious and cool.
In reality? I thought he looked a little more, well...





No comments:

Post a Comment