Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Journey of aThousand Miles

I've always thought of myself as being pretty active. I played on my high school tennis team (JV doubles), ran a 25K, and back packed over the Continental Divide. So when the nutritionist I'm working with set a goal for me to take10,000 steps each day, I raised a derisive eyebrow. 10,000 steps? I sleep walk 10,000 steps!

Yeah, about that. All that tennis and hiking and 25K-ing was a long time ago. A long time. 10,000 steps? That's crazy talk!

Since discovering the pedometer on my phone earlier this week, the closest I've come to hitting that goal is 6,171 steps, which included 20-minutes on my treadmill. Sixty one-percent? That's not even a gentleman's C!

Needless to say, I've become completely obsessed with hitting that 10,000 mark. Get up to use the bathroom and return to my desk? Thirty steps. Grab a piece of fruit from the kitchen? Another thirty. It all adds up. As Mao Zedong famously said, "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."

Hmmm, I wonder how many steps that is?

No comments:

Post a Comment