Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Call Me Ishmael

If someone asked you to describe my traits, I suppose along the way most people would mention that I'm vegetarian. With an exception of a bite here or there, for 25 years I didn't eat any type of meat - no chicken, no fish, nothing.

Recently, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. The doctor was perplexed about how a 150 lbs. vegetarian runner could be pre-diabetic. Then he took a look at the family history. That, added with an over-reliance of carbs, gave us the diagnosis.

He strongly suggested that I change my diet to include fish. I sought a second opinion from my niece, Lyndsey, the nurse. "Eat some fish," was her advice. I went to a dietician. After discussing my diet she added, "How do you feel about eating fish?"

So after much reflection and on the advice of three medical professionals, I have started eating fish. I am no longer a vegetarian. I am a pescatarian.  I have very mixed feelings about this. (By the way, Gus is disgusted, and Niko is hopefully intrigued.)

Last Friday, I ate fish for the first time in I don't know how long. I had a tuna salad sandwich - my first in decades. At hearing the news of my lunch choice, my cousin Laura said, "All the fish in the sea and you choose tuna?"

Baby steps, people, baby steps.



No comments:

Post a Comment