Friday, July 25, 2014

A Quiet House

Recently, I posted on my Facebook page how early in our discussions about becoming fathers, Kelly had mentioned how he wanted to be the house where all the kids hang out. It was definitely not a goal of mine.  It's safe to say I lost that battle - there's always some kid or another running through my house...or even spending the night.

Well on Wednesday, Kelly's brother, David, came to take the boys to his place in the mountains. And with their departure a calm, a quiet has descended upon our house.  I was so busy that day with other tasks that I hardly noticed they were gone. But by the evening, I had settled in to the new reality. It was nice. I ate something, I read a book, I cleaned up...

And then around midnight I got the call: a tearful Niko begging me to come and pick him up.  It was heartbreaking to tell him that there was no way, that he'd just have to deal with it.  Gus ingeniously suggested that a morning and evening FaceTime call on the iPhone may help - and it has. Since that night Niko has been all smiles during our chats.

Now on the third day of their absence, my ability to cook dinner without complaints, run errands uninterrupted, or to work without having to remind someone to keep it way down, have proven far less powerful arguments for not having the boys here with me than I might have expected.

This morning as we FaceTimed, Niko decided that he wants to come home on Sunday, rather than stay for two weeks as had been considered. I told him, "That's only 3 days away!" Maybe, just maybe, I was reminding myself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment