Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Where Are You From?

The other day my friend Tanya, with whom I used to work, was complimented on how good her English is. Whereas her English is good, I suspect the person commented on it because Tanya is Japanese. Actually, she's Japanese-American, born in New Mexico. That tidbit about her birth really confounded the person paying her the linguistic compliment.

Hearing these types of stories always cracks me up.  Although sometimes it hits a little too close to home. On several occasions I've been told I speak with a slight accent (which, baffles me to no end.)  And once during the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, a nice older lady riding the light rail with us asked me how I was enjoying America - which amused Sabine, John and Kelly a lot more than it did me.

But far worse than my own surreal experiences is the fact that I can no longer count the number of times someone has asked us where the boys are from. Even after hearing that Gus was born in Orange County and Niko in Berkeley, we still get asked, "but where are they from." Kelly got so irritated at an inquisitor that he finally barked, "Their mother's womb!"

So for anyone who's been wondering:
  • I was born at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
  • Any traces of an accent in my speech is entirely a mystery to me (I do not hear any)
  • My kids were born in America: Orange County and Berkeley  to be exact - they are Americans
And if you're still wonder where they're from take a look at this quick video. It's how you seem, guvnah!





1 comment: