Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Time of Thanksgiving

150 years ago, President Abraham Lincoln officially set aside a national day of thanks. I think this is a well-deserved tradition. So in honor of Honest Abe, I am grateful for:
  • Kelly - my partner in crime, who has supported me, stood by me, and kept me laughing for a quarter of a century. I don't know what I did to deserve such a great guy.
  • My sons - they are the center of my universe. They challenge me to be a better man each and every day. They have changed me - for the better - and I strive to be the father they need me to be.
  • The big, fat Greek family into which I was born. They surround me with love, acceptance, and patience. They provided me with just enough dysfunction to make me amusing, and I appreciate that.
  • The Huntingtons - it's nice to have in laws, who embrace you as one of their own.
  • My friends - too many to name - who enrich my life with their diversity, humor and support. But I need to call out a few:
    • Sabine and John - simply the greatest best friends, soul mates, kindred spirits anyone could ever hope for in life.
    • Teresa - a work wife who never divorced me even after we stopped working together. I know I can count on her to say what I need to hear, without judgement or strings.
    • Brad - for having faith in me enough to spark my new business, and patience with me when I start to freak out.
    • Bob - a man I am proud to call my friend even when he's pissing off everyone else. He's the best business partner, cheerleader, and advocate for equality you could ever imagine.
  •  All of our pets, Athena, Apollo, the chickens, and Speedy. But most of all for Gracie, the good dog, for 13 years (this month) she's faithfully provided me unwavering love and adoration.
  • Saint Sophia School, where my kids are embraced, my family celebrated, and childhood is a little sweeter.
  • All those whom I have loved and lost - we will be reunited.
Most of all, I am grateful for this life I have been given. It's filled with challenges and sorrow, certainly. But also with so much happiness, laughter and everyday blessings that I sometimes think I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment