Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Where Are The Eggs?

It's funny how kids associate adults with one specific action or trait. Sometimes those become the only memory you have of  that person. For example, my Uncle Nick Sarantos, my sister's godfather, had a stone wheel on which he sharpened knives. My yia yia and I would walk over to his house and he'd let me push the peddle.

Uncle Nick passed away a few days before my 4th birthday. But I still associate knife sharpening with him. It's about the only solid memory of him I have (well, that and the dollar bill that would magically appear in my palm whenever we shook hands.)

I've wondered, what do the littlest people in my life associate with me? Like the knives, is there something I do that would stick with them for 45 years should I suddenly disappear?

My nephew George - my cousin Nicole's son - answered that question for me. I saw him last Sunday at church with his yia yia.  Yvonne pointed me out and said, "Hey, here's Uncle Chris." George looked at me and asked, pou einai ta auga? (Where are the eggs?)

Yes, that's right, if I were to fall off the face of the Earth right now, George would remember me as the guy with the eggs. I should've learned Uncle Nick's dollar in the palm trick!



1 comment:

  1. Such a true story about associating acts/behavior with people in our lives. Thanks.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete