Monday, April 1, 2013

Zito E Ellas!

Thursday the school had its Greek Independence Day program. The boys were simply brilliant.

Along with doing the Kritikos Zirtos dance, Gus also recited a poem about the Greek revolutionary hero, Theodoros Kolokotronis (who hails from our "native" state of Arkadia).

Niko recited a poem about the color orange, and danced the hasaposervikos. He managed to keep secret the part where he and the other little boys moved to the center of the circle and showed off their prowess by jumping and slapping their raised feet.

As I watched, yelling, "OPA!" I swear out of the corner of my eye I saw my yia yia clapping in time with the music - smiling with pride from ear to ear.




TRANSLATIONS:

Niko - I'm the color orange, which everyone likes. I like it too, which is why I'm wearing it.

Gus - Outstanding and fearless, the "Old Man of Moria,"I was courageous for freedom. From the battle of Tripolitsa to the legendary battle of Valtetsi; wherever I went the tassles of the Turkish fez caps trembled. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to all of you!! Για σας. Ζήτω Ελλάς!

    Καρεν

    ReplyDelete