Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Sea of Red

Today the United States Supreme Court heard arguments about the constitutionality of California's Proposition 8, which defined marriage in the Golden State as between on man and one woman, and ended several months of same-gender marriage.

There is no argument that can be made that can sway me from the fundamental belief that I am equal in every way both in the eyes of my God, and more importantly, in the eyes of the laws of this great country I so proudly call my homeland.

Prior to the arguments being heard, the Human Rights Campaign asked people to post a picture of, or replace their social media profile pictures with, the HRC's logo painted red to show support for marriage equality.

The Human Right Campaign's logo.




In support of marriage equality. 
When I logged on to Facebook this afternoon, I was overcome with a sense of belonging. My page was a sea of red support.

It is such a humbling honor to know all these people - family members, friends, former classmates, former colleagues, straight and gay, of all (and no) religious bents - are in my corner and are on the right side of history with me. It is overwhelming. Some of the people I expected to support this cause. Many surprised me. I like surprises.

When the Court finally rules, I don't know what will or won't change in the law. I do know that for me, personally, one day of Facebook in a sea of red has given me the hope to carry on and continue to fight for change.







1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing the sea of red for equality...Giancarlo changed his facebook page which inspired me to change my facebook page and the list goes on...Keep writing and inspiring all of us!
    xoxo, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete