Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Grand Tradition

When I was Gus's age, my Greek vocabulary consisted of probably a dozen words:

- ela'tho (come here)
- yia yia (grandmother)
- papou (grandfather)
- theia (aunt)
- nouna (godmother)
- nouno (godfather)
- pyos (who)
- theleis (do you want)
- kseelo (stick / switch)*
- koutali (spoon)*
(*Used as "threats" to beat me by my yia yia - like she ever would've.)
 
Oh and skata, which means, well, let's just say it's the root for English word "scatological." That was also the word that all my friends and all of my siblings' friends knew as well.  It was the only Greek word we taught them. It was, after all, the only useful Greek word for them to know.  

Although our use of the word wasn't really frowned upon - nor encouraged - hearing it slip pass the lips of one of our friends immediately made our parents admonish us. We were reminded that it wasn't nice to teach them those kinds of words. 

Well, the other day, the boys went to some friends' house after school. When they were returned, Gus's friend leaned out of the car and said, "Hey, Gus, SKATA!" 

I clucked my disapproval, but I must admit, I'm a rather glad to see he's continuing a grand tradition.
 

1 comment:

  1. Skata is a much better word than some I have heard!! Love that the boys and their friends are bilinqual.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete