Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Little Secret

One of the advantages of being with someone for as long as Kelly and I have been together is that you're well aware of the others embarrassing secrets.

A secret that Kelly has long known about me that is likely news to many readers of this blog, is that I am a fan of Glen Campbell. Yes, the country singer...the guy from the late 1960s - early 1970s television show ...the conservative Republican.

I never missed The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour. In fact, if I was out playing in the yard or over at a  friend's, my parents would literally yell out the window at me, "Christo! Your boyfriend's show is on." And off I'd go running to be spellbound in front of the TV.

When my sister took me to see True Grit starring Campbell as La Boeuf the Texas Ranger (a role later played by Matt Damon) I made her sit through it three times. Unlike in the later version, La Boeuf is killed in the original. I was devastated.  So I persuaded her to stay two more times: convinced that he would eventually remember what was about to happen to him, take decisive action, and avoid being killed.

We watched it two more times, people - that's how deep my faith was in him.

The coup d' grace came when my father was returning from work one afternoon and found me hanging out in front of a neighbor's house: Glenn Campbell, a retired doctor. My brothers, John and Dan, had convinced me that Dr. Campbell was Glen's father.  I figured even a mega-celebrity would make time to visit his dad. So I would just sit and wait.

Dad hauled the 6-year old stalker home.

Well, the other night Kelly came home with a surprise for me from Good Will.
STILL dreamy!
Boy, do I love that guy. Kelly! I mean Kelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment