Friday, May 18, 2012

You Make My Heart Beat Faster

Today is my parents' 63rd wedding anniversary. You read that right: 63 years! That's a long time for anything, yet alone a marriage.

Has their life together been smooth sailing every day? Has it been picture perfect? Has it been free of conflict and adversity? No. Like all marriages, Mom and Dad's has had its ups and downs, its trials and tribulations. The difference between their relationship and those of so many others is that my parents have persevered and triumphed over these challenges.

They have taught me that there are certain marital fundamentals that are both universal yet specific to each marriage. They've shown me:

  • It's OK to disagree with each other (even publicly) but the goal must always be compromise
  • You're a team, every issue you face needs to be met with a united front
  • Laugh a lot - with each other and at each other.
In a time when half of all marriages are dissolved, my parents' commitment to one another stands out as a noble example of what can be. And it warms my heart to know that after all these years, like the lyric from the Matt Nathanson song  - they look at each other and think, "you make my heart beat faster."

Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment