Thursday, May 24, 2012

I'm Not Radar

My little brain is chock full of useless, trivial information. Not the good kind that can win drink bets in bars or get me on to Jeopardy either. I mean crap that's just taking up gray matter that could've gone towards my actually understanding math.


I like to joke that one day I won't remember by middle name...but I will know that former Wyoming Senator Alan Simpson's is "Kooi"

Among all that worthless information is the plot of an old M*A*S*H* episode. When actor Gary Burghoff left the show, he took his his Iowa farm-boy character, the lovably psychic Radar O'Reilly, with him. In the first episode after his departure, the administrative duties Radar performed are transferred to Max Klinger, the cross-dressing Lebanese from Toledo, played by Jamie Farr.

Throughout the episode people complain that Radar did it this way, that Radar would have known about that, etc. Poor Klinger couldn't compete.

I know how he felt. Since taking over so many of the "hands-on" parenting duties from Kelly, I've been told that I don't make snacks correctly, that I don't tie skate laces properly, and even that I don't cut the lawn right!

But just as that fun-loving medical team in the Korean War got used to Klinger's style, the boys are getting used to mine. I just hope I can knock some of the unnecessary clutter - like1970s television storylines  - out of my memory and start filling in the freed-up space with useful information: like the right way to fold underwear!




1 comment:

  1. We ought to have a M*A*S*H trivia night! I have similar things go through my head, and I think I have seen every single episode of that show at least twice! Ah, the good ol' days when I had noting better to do but chill in front of the TV with a bag of Doritios.

    ReplyDelete