Wednesday, March 7, 2012

To the Lions

I don't remember the first time I observed Lent. Growing up, we weren't very religious. At best, on occasion, we'd give up meat for Holy Week.

But I do know being an Orthodox Christian - even an unobservant one - at the overwhelmingly LDS Midvale Elementary School played to my advantage. See, in an attempt to get me to broaden my horizons, my mom used to make me alternate between buying school lunch one week and bringing a sack lunch the next.

Well, on those "school lunch" weeks, all sorts of unappetizing "dishes" crossed my tray.



If I just couldn't bring myself to choke it down, I'd pull the Lent card - several times throughout the year. There was only one lunch room lady, who was ever wise to me (and she was Roman Catholic, and cut me a lot of slack). To the rest of them I was practically a saint living my faith devoutly. Greek Orthodox? Roman Catholic? Presbyterian? It all sounded vaguely exotic to them.



Well, Gus is observing Lent for the first time this year. Rather than refrain from all meat, dairy and eggs as Orthodox Christians are instructed, to ease him into the idea, he has chosen to abstain from candy. I have to admit, being vegan for 50 days would have been easier. This is a real sacrifice for him.



But the other day the poor kid was really put to the test. With, I'm sure, more than a little brotherly mischief, Niko proceeded to snarf down some Swedish fish in front of a tempted Gus, tormenting his brother. Poor Gus, not even 9-years old yet and he's already learned about martyrdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment