Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Traditions Continue

Probably the most shallow reason I am happy to be an Orthodox Christian is the connection it provides to me with my past. I dig the fact that my grandfather's grandfather and his grandfather could step into my church on any Sunday and recognize exactly what was going on.

Part of the joy of being a father is seeing my kids participate in centuries-old traditions in their Church. It reminds me that they are links in a much longer chain.

A few weeks ago we observed the Sunday of Orthodoxy. It's the day we acknowledge the importance of icons in our Faith, and celebrate their restoration in the 9th Century, after over 100 years of controversy during which zealots opposed to their veneration worked to wipe icons out of the Church.

On that Sunday, children (and adults) walk around the church carrying an icon in celebration. This past Sunday of Orthodoxy also saw Gus on altar boy duty. So there they were, my kids, continuing a 1200-year old tradition...just like their grandfather's grandfather's grandfather.


I apologize for the quality of these photos. Kelly has already chastised me by reminding me that a cell phone is not a camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment