Thursday, December 18, 2014

A Letter to the Editor

The local chapter of the NAACP is holding its annual Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial luncheon next month. I received an invitation. When I saw whom they were honoring with the MLK Award, I was more than a little surprised. Pastor Hodges has been vocal about his views about LGBT people and they're not very accepting (although in fairness, he did support a proposed anti-discrimination law a few years ago - because churches were exempted, and his freedom to condemn homosexuality from the pulpit would not be infringed.)

In a column he used to pen for The Salt Lake Tribune, he argued his views were not bigoted because they were based on his religious convictions. Personally, I have no stomach for any form of bigotry, but when it is based on "religion" it seems particularly offensive.

I emailed my RSVP as regrets, explaining that the irony of honoring Dr. King's legacy by recognizing someone, who wishes to preach against another group, and hides his bigotry behind "God's words" showed an astonishing lack of understanding about the struggle for equality that Dr. King and others fought.  I also, emailed the local chapter of the NAACP to express my opinion. There has been no response.

So I penned a letter to the editor of the Trib, which ran today. Click here to read it, if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment