Saturday, May 31, 2014

Smile Because It Happened


Yesterday was the last day of school. Gus was promoted to 6th grade, and Niko moved up to 2nd.  A few dozen kids joined them in taking a big step to the right, symbolizing they were stepping up to the next grade, stepping up to something new.

The ceremony brought something new to the school as well: Saint Sophia Hellenic Orthodox School will no longer function as an elementary. The grammar school doors are closed. Next year the school will return to its original intention and focus exclusively as a preschool.

In the four years my kids were students at this amazing school they learned so much more than reading, writing and arithmetic (or even Greek). They learned they were cherished, embraced and celebrated for who they are. They learned that education isn't about passing tests or No. 2 pencils, it's about reaching your potential and succeeding for yourself. They learned going to school every morning can be fun and stimulating - worthy of their excited anticipation.

They learned that teachers can really, truly care about their students. Sure, part of those connections were the result of very small classes (the death nail for the school), but it was really because of the type of teachers and administrators that the school attracted. Those who cherish children and learning, who honor all families no matter their composition.

Although we are optimistically excited about the prospect of the boys' new school - the American International School of Utah - we will always be grateful for Saint Sophia. It is the school I wish I could've attended. I am so very thankful that my kids did.

On that last day, hugging the director, Dana Easton, and the school's amazing office manager, Judy Haws, I admit my eyes teared up. But then I remembered an old saying:

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened.

Because Saint Sophia happened I will always, until my last breath, smile.







No comments:

Post a Comment