Friday, March 28, 2014

Just What the Catholic Kids Do

My wonderful friend, the late Michael Courtright, taught and was a vice principal at Saint Monica High School, a private Catholic school in Santa Monica, for many years.  One day, we were talking about the school, and I asked Mike what the non-Catholic students did during Mass. He looked at me with an amused look and replied, "Exactly what the Catholic kids do: sit there bored."

Over all these years, I  thought the answer was just another example of Mike's great sense of humor. But Tuesday was the Feast of the Annunciation - the day the Virgin Mary was asked to be the mother of Jesus. Since I was dropping the boys off at school anyway, I decided to stay for Liturgy.

During the hour they were there, I witnessed kids staring off into space, take great interest in the head of the person in front of them, or get reassigned to a seat closer to a teacher. So, what do non-Orthodox kids do during Liturgy? Same as the Orthodox kids: they sit there bored.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Michael Courtright was a great, witty friend who is dearly missed. I too was thinking of him especially since today is his birthday. And with whom does he share this special day with? Happy Birthday Christopher! March 30th was meant for witty and special guys.

    ReplyDelete