Monday, March 24, 2014

But They Can Marry Whoever They Want


At the end of My Big Fat Greek Wedding the young daughter of the main character asks if she has to go to Greek School. The response: Yes, but you can marry whoever you want.

This past Sunday, the boys joined their fellow students from Greek School to put on a Greek Independence Day program for the community. Over 100 parents, grandparents, and folks just out for a great show enjoyed songs, dances, a skit and poems.
I'll admit, on more than one occasion I got teary eyed watching my sons stand in front of the crowd and confidently and proudly performe. No, my emotion didn't stem just from their comfort in front of a crowd, but from a much deeper place in my heart. 
Throughout the entire evening, I couldn't shake the feeling that sitting next to me were my yia yia and theias - clapping along, cheering, laughing. Proud of the boys, but also of me for embracing and loving the culture and heritage they fostered in me, and the fact I want my kids to experience that sense of pride that comes with being Greek.

But mostly I'm proud of my favorite non-Greek, Kelly, who positioned himself right in front to photograph and videotape his Greek sons. He'll make sure they get to marry whomever they want.

Gus doing his part in the famous Zeibekiko dance, and Niko reciting, "I'm a little Greek boy, and even when I'm old there will be freedom, in my mind and in my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment