Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Whole World Celebrates

Not everyone can say that the entire world throws a party on your birthday. But today, New Year's Eve, is Kelly's birthday. He's 60.  That fact is amazing to me because he looks 50 and acts 30. What's truly amazing is that I've known him now in four decades of his life.

Over those years we've known each other, many aspects of our shared life have changed: new jobs, several moves, kids. But there are some constants: he remains the funniest man I know, he has more compassion in his little pinkie than most people you'll ever meet, and his favorite way to spend his birthday hasn't changed since the first one we celebrated.

Sure, there have been parties. Yes, there were some epic celebrations (Barbra Streisand in Las Vegas on 12/31/99 comes to mind!). And even tonight we're heading to Park City to see Bernadette Peters (who I just learned is known for her singing...much to Kelly's amused horror). But it's just us - just the two of us - Kelly's favorite way to celebrate.

And while everyone else in the world is hoping to have a night to remember, I know I will. Because every New Year's Eve I know when the clock strikes midnight, I'll be with someone, who just wants to be there with me.

Personally, that's why I think the whole world celebrates Kelly's birthday.

Happy birthday.










1 comment: