Thursday, December 19, 2013

From One Yia Yia to Another

One day, when I was in Kindergarten, I was pleasantly surprised to find my mom, yia yia and theia Mimi walk through the classroom door. They were there to make diples- deep-fried, honeyed Greek cookies - for my class. Those cookies were my favorite, and soon became the favorite of everyone else as well.

Flash forward nearly 45 years: Gus's class held an "international tasting" today - the last full school day before the Christmas break.  For his contribution, Gus called his yia yia and asked for diples. And like the wonderful yia yia she is, she rose to the occasion.

And just as I knew nobody made diples like my yia yia, the boys understand that their yia yia's diples are beyond compare; nobody does diples like her. (Figuratively and literally - she's the last person anyone knows that still makes them in the shape of flowers.)

Not surprisingly, according to Gus, they were everybody's favorite. My yia yia would be proud.
 These were a couple of extras that somehow managed to make it to my house!


No comments:

Post a Comment