Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Huge!

Recently I wrote about Panagia, one of our Maran chickens, beginning to lay. Her first egg was tiny. After consulting with my friend Ann, who lives on Maple Corners, her farm in Minnesota, I learned that the size of the new hens' eggs would gradually increase.

This morning I went out to the coop to gather eggs and what did my little eyes spy? One blue-green egg from one of the Ameraucana hens, one tiny brand-new Maran egg, and one giant Maran egg. I mean, for little Panagia - significantly the smallest of all the girls - to have laid an enormous egg like that was simply a feat of amazing engineering!

When I brought the eggs into the house to show the boys, they took one look at the ginormous egg and belted out, "Oh my God! It's huge!"

I actually had to agree.

 Compared to a newly-laying Maran hen's egg and a mature Ameraucana hen's egg. The boys have deemed the Maran eggs the color of milk chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment