Wednesday, January 18, 2012

King Me

Unknowingly, I had a parenting epiphany when I was just 18 or 19. It came when my then 5 or 6-year old niece Lyndsey clobbered me at a matching game for the umpteenth time. Of course her amazing skills were aided by my purposeful missteps.

That's when I realized my Aunt Mimi had let me win all those matching games, rounds of Old Maid, and Candyland marathons. It's simply what a good human parent does to build their kids' confidence and skills.

Well, fast forward some 25-years later, and at his request, I taught Gus how to play checkers. To be frank, it goes against my basic nature not to try win. But my paternal instincts are stronger, and Gus won game after game - with an occasional victory for Dad just to keep it real and to help teach him that it is OK to lose.

Then, last night, we played a game of checkers before bed. And for the third consecutive time, without any assistance from me, Gus beat me. Fair and square. He outsmarted me - cornering and surrounding my last king, just like I showed him how.

But the best part was that across from me sat a confident winner, who mixed just the right amount of teasing with mature grace, congratulating his opponent - his father - on a game well-played.

Tonight, while Gus was at Scouts, Niko asked me to teach him how to play checkers. Yes, he won.

No comments:

Post a Comment