Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Hutt Amendment

Recently, I read that the average New Year's resolution is cast aside within 3 weeks. That means that a lot of those promises to lose weight, quit smoking, or to be less stressed have already been tossed by the wayside.

Like everyone else, I've been more successful at some of my resolutions in the past than I have at others.

Success example: As 1996 turned to 1997, I pledged to find a new job; I gave notice 2 1/2 months later.

Less-than successful: this year, I vowed to wake up earlier every day. This morning, I didn't roll out of bed until 9:45.

I think publicly verbalizing resolutions helps me to keep them. Without publicly acknowledging them, without having witnesses, it's just too easy to forget or give up on them.

Which brings me to the point of this particular blog entry. I am adding a new resolution for 2012. After reading my blog, "I Resolve" earlier this month, my friend - and an incredibly talented business coach - Hutt, sent me an email asking why one resolution was missing from the list. He wanted to know when was I going to finally write a book about my experiences as a father.

I've been thinking about our email exchange for the past couple of weeks, and I'm finally ready to resolve: In 2012 I will start writing the book, Hutt's been bugging me about for 3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment