Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stuck in the Middle

This morning I went over to hang out with my dad while my mom and sister went to a baby shower in honor of my cousin, Gregory's, wife. My son Gus had spent the night at yia yia and papou's, so he hung out with us.

It was an interesting morning. Gus needed to finish some homework, and Dad needed to get ready for the day. I quite literally went from double checking 6th grade Language Arts work, to getting my dad into the bathroom so he could shave, reviewing Gus's inventive spelling of "decision" to getting Dad something to eat.

Just before Mom and Sandra returned, all was quiet at the house. Gus had finished his lessons and was quietly playing a video game. Dad had shaved, read his paper, and had had something to eat. He and I sat in the living room talking - about family, people he knew as a kid, nothing really important at all. It was just dad and son and dad and son.

Sometimes it's good to be stuck in the middle.


No comments:

Post a Comment