Sunday, January 11, 2015

So Long, Speedy

For Christmas 2008, my sister Sandra, Kelly and I gave the boys a pair of guinea pigs: Tom and Jerry. The two guinea pig brothers proved to be really special when Jerry gave birth to three pups two months later.

Their son, Speedy, was the last remaining member of their little cavy family. He passed quietly last night. At just shy of six, he lived a full year longer than they usually do, outliving his brother, Spotty, by 2-1/2 years.

The boys took his passing well - Speedy wasn't much for being held, so they weren't super close - and although he was sweet, I admit that I am happy for the space in the laundry room we're gaining with the departure of his habitat. I'm also grateful that we're having a warm January, so I am able to bury him without breaking a shovel!

Speedy, thanks for being a good guinea pig. Squeak, squeak!




No comments:

Post a Comment