Sunday, January 18, 2015

Guilt from the Great Beyond

A couple of weeks ago, I got a healthy dose of Jewish Mother Guilt from a dear, sweet friend of mine. I had to laugh off her attempts, however. I mean after nearly 50 years of Greek mother figures in my life, a little Jewish guilt didn't stand a chance.

Don't believe me? Well the other night I had a dream that I was attending some sort of religious lecture at a Protestant church. I walked in with my four Saltas cousins.

As we made our way through the church, I saw their mother sitting by herself in a pew about half way in the back. I was excited to see my aunt, who passed away nearly 5 years ago. Her daughters politely acknowledge their mom, but kept walking to sit in a different part of the church. Me? I squeezed in right next to Theia Sophie, put my arm around her and we started yacking away. The lecture ended, I left with my cousins, and that's when I woke up.

The next morning I told my cousin, Yvonne, about the dream:

- Yvonne: You had this dream the day you skipped church to sit in your hottub?
- Me: Yes.
- Yvonne: There ya go.
- Me: You mean your mom was guilting me about skipping church from the Great Beyond?
- Yvonne: Duh.

That sweet little Jewish woman didn't stand a chance!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking maybe she wanted to have been invited to hot tub party.

    ReplyDelete