Friday, October 31, 2014

You'll Never Know for Sure

The very day after my 18th birthday, I marched down to the Walkers' house and registered to vote. A few months later, I returned from classes at the U, and walked over to the Jenkins' house. I was handed a printed ballot and a pencil to vote in the Midvale City elections.  In the 31 years since then, I've never missed a vote.

I remember my yia yia telling me about how excited she was to vote for the very first time: plumbing to re-elect FDR. She was as proud of that vote me nearly 50 years later as she was on that first election day. Not because her man won, but because she voted.

And I've made sure that on some level the boys think voting is cool. I have never actually cast my ballot for Pres. Obama. In 2008 Gus did it for me, and four years later it was Niko's turn. Niko still loves to vote.

Yesterday, Kelly and I took advantage of early voting, casting our ballots in the mid-term elections. You can all probably figure out for whom we voted, but the best part of American elections: you'll never really know for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment