Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What's in a Name: A True Story from the ICU

My Uncle Chris had a heart valve replaced yesterday.  Prior to his surgery, he had instructed that during his short stay in the ICU he only wanted my cousin Laura and me to visit him. After our initial visit soon after he returned from the successful surgery, we provided the nurse with a list of our uncle's approved names. The following is a true conversation between a volunteer in the waiting room, Laura and me.

Vo:           Hi, can I help you.
Me:          We're here to see our uncle.
Vo:           What's his name?
Me:          Chris Katis (The volunteer dials the number to the ICU desk)
Vo:           There are people here to see Chris Katis. Oh OK. What's your name?
Me:          Chris Katis
Vo:           No, your name.
Me:          Chris Katis
Vo:           Not the patient, your name
Me:          Christopher Katis
Vo:           Not the patient's name
La:           He's also Chris Katis

Shaking her head the Volunteer hands me the phone still confused.

We really need to get a few more names in our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment