Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This Day

I used to hate today. September 11th brought with it terrible memories, feelings of anger, even hatred.

Like almost everyone else, I suppose, I remember way too much about that morning. Skipping the gym since my parents were visiting, having no idea what has happening in New York, getting a call from Sabine pleading with me not to go into work that day - into the 42-story building in San Francisco's financial district.

I remember taking my parents to Macy's in Union Square, running into my colleague and friend Quynh and just embracing each other.

Then there was the relief: finally making contact with my cousins, learning they were safe and sound. Eventually getting confirmation that my colleagues were all accounted for. Knowing that dear friends like Michael had not been in harm's way.

As the day dragged on there were so many stories of Americans helping Americans unconcerned about class status, race, religion, orientation or any of the labels we sometimes use to separate ourselves. Shop owners passed out free food and drinks to those making the long journey to their homes - sometimes tens of miles away - on foot. Gruff New Yorkers took the time to make sure preschoolers had new toys to focus on rather than hear of the tragedy. And of course, those amazingly brave first responders running back into the collapsing buildings to save others.

Here's the decision I made for myself: I could focus on the anger, or I could look at it through positive eyes. September 11, 2001 will always, always be a day of great sadness for me. But September 11, 2002 and every 9/11 after has been a personal day of Thanksgiving for me.

I am thankful to know that brave men and women will run back into collapsing buildings, that business owners will forgo profit to feed a stranger, that people will understand that kids need to be kids. I am thankful for the thousands and thousands of acts of kindness and help that sprang from this tragedy, and will always spring from tragedies.

9/11 tore a hole in my heart that cannot ever be replaced. But 9/11 also taught me a valuable, incredibly powerful lesson: Good always triumphs over evil. Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment