Thursday, September 5, 2013

Becoming Theia Sophie

When my Theia Amelia passed away last year, my cousins asked me to help make arrangements for her church funeral. Since none of them lives in Utah, that made perfectly logical sense. When Fr. Elias came to sing the trisagion at her viewing, I met him at the door, introduced him to my cousins and their families, etc.

After the viewing, a couple of my cousins were talking. When I joined them they told me how they'd just been saying that I'd become our Theia Sophie. It was a pretty funny line.

Well, flash forward to last month. I was at my great nephew Jace's birthday party, and it was time to light the candles on his cake. Only problem was my niece had forgotten to bring a lighter. As people opened drawers and cupboards of the condo clubhouse where the party was held searching for something to light the candles, I remembered, "I have a lighter!"The room went silent and everyone turned to see why in the world I of all people - Mr. Anti-Smoking himself - would have a lighter.

I dashed out to my car and brought back my zip lock baggie filled with my cemetery supplies: livani (incense), charcoals, and two Bic lighters.

So, yes, it's definitely true, I have become my Theia Sophie.

But that's not bad. As Sophie's daughter told our cousins when she heard their theory that I'd become her mom, "And they both love that fact!"

True that!

1 comment: