Friday, May 10, 2013

Just Trying to be a Decent Human Being

As a PR professional, I've sent literally thousands of pitches to journalists all around the world.  I've always tried really hard to make sure that my pitches are appropriately targeted to the correct reporters.

Because of my column, I am now listed on Cision - a compendium of tens of thousands of reporters, columnists, and editors at publications, blogs, and websites around the world. This means that PR people can now pitch me. Sweet Baby Jesus.

Apparently, my anal retentive, A-type personality isn't shared by my fellow PR professionals. Of the two dozen or so pitches I've received over the past two weeks, none of them has been  spot on. And only 2-3 have been slightly appropriate. It's very clear they didn't take the time to read a column or two before sending me their news releases.

Thus far I've heard a lot about fashion. I'm assuming I get these because I'm listed under an LGBT publication. I had to tell the Fashion Institute twice that I'm really not interested in its summer camp. Can anyone see my kids in NYC, by themselves, studying fashion?

My favorite was the pitch (heralded as just in time for Mother's Day) suggesting I examine why African American moms are struggling. Yes, I think that this is a very important topic but not really a fit for a column about two gay dads. We kind of ignore Mother's Day at our house.

As I've gotten these pitches, I'm reminded of something Mark Ververka, who writes for Barron's, told me. Mark and I were pals when I lived in San Francisco, and he was getting literally hundreds of pitches every week by email and phone. He said he tried to reply to everyone or talk to them for a minute on the phone, just to be a decent human being.

Thus far I've replied to every single pitch I've received. I've even suggested to the woman pitching book reviews that I think highlighting a few kids books that are about same gender parents would make a great column - I even gave her some examples.

So why am I doing this? Like Mark, I'm just trying to be a decent human being. Thank God, I passed on providing Cision with my telephone number!

No comments:

Post a Comment