Friday, July 6, 2012

I'm Your Brother!

Being the youngest of 5 boys, I know a thing or two about the complicated dynamics of brotherhood - one minute you're best pals in the world, then next you're mortal enemies.  I also know that bigger brothers can be an amazing resource for helping younger brothers navigate the world to come.

For example, my brother John taught me how to drive a stick, how to sneak out of the window when I'd been sent to my room, and how to dance. Actually, come to think of it, maybe big brothers aren't such great role models: during the driving lesson John threw me out of the car in the middle of traffic because I kept killing the clutch, our dad caught me sneaking out of the window the first time I tried it (shoving me one-handed back through the open window), and John's dancing skills, well, let's just say there's a lot more to dancing than just moving your feet up and down in place.

Because of my experiences growing up, I know exactly when Gus is going to push his little brother's buttons - just because he can. And I know when Niko is going to annoy his big brother for the fun of it.

But I also get to witness some really, truly touching moments: when Gus is protective and helpful, and Niko lives in awe of Gus.

Yesterday, Gus helped Niko with his daily home work and helped him as Niko tries to learn to read (yup, we're mean parents who make our kids do a little school work during summer vacation). I like  moments like these because they provide a glimpse into a future relationship I think my the boys will eventually enjoy.








Of course, a few minutes later, they were back at each other, as Gus claimed control of the ice cream. Notice Niko's argument, "I'm your brother!"

Exactly.




No comments:

Post a Comment