Monday, October 10, 2011

A Goddess Amongst Us

Gracie is my first dog. Growing up we had cats - Spook when I was a kid; Maggie and then her son, Sam, when I was teenager. I love Gracie - I mean I really love that dog - but there's always been a place in my heart for a cat.



Probably against my better judgement, I succumbed to Kelly's argument that we should "get the pets out of the way when the boys are young" and in celebration of Niko's upcoming birthday, we got the family a cat.

Saturday, Kelly and I spent a couple of hours at the Human Society looking, holding, petting and playing with cats. We needed one that was mellow, was OK with kids and liked dogs. After nixing the idea of a kitten (or two) we landed on a beautiful, 1-year old gray tabby.



To say the boys were surprised and delighted would be an understatement - Gus literally leaped into my arms in excitement. Niko was beside himself. We had finally gotten them a cat.

We've named her Athena, and so far, so good. Gracie ignores her - except to excitedly tell me through her eyes and wagging tale, "Chris, guess what? That cat doesn't eat all of her food! So I get to eat it! HOORAY!!" (We've moved the cat's dish out of Gracie's reach...)

Last night she spent the better part of the evening sleeping along side Niko in his bed. Much to his delight.

She's a sweet little goddess among us.



By the way, this photo was not staged. Athena's actually looking out the window with the Greek flag behind her!

1 comment: