Monday, September 5, 2011

Making the Earth Laugh

When I was a kid, I used to love to plant flowers with my Theia Mimi. We used to spend hours together during the summer puttering around her garden. She taught me a great deal about flowers: how deep they need to planted, what the best conditions are for them to thrive.

All these years later, I still enjoy planting. It's incredibly good therapy for me. And makes me feel like I'm doing something for Mother Earth. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "The Earth laughs in flowers."

Digging in the dirt - splashing color in my yard - also makes me think of Theia Mimi and the times we shared. The other day when I was at Home Depot buying chrysanthemums, I decided it was about time that I passed on the knowledge of, and the love for, gardening that Theia Mimi had shared with me. So last night after work, Niko helped me plant.

Just like Mimi and me, we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment