Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bumming with Dad

Growing up, one of my favorite things to do on Saturdays was to go "bumming" with my dad. We'd watch cartoons and the weird Krofft Brother shows like Land of the Lost and HR Puffenstuff then we'd head out "bumming" just him and me.

A lot of times, we'd work breakfast into our outing - it's hard to believe when you consider what on organic, try-to-buy-local, healthy food snob I've become, but my favorite breakfast joint to go with Dad was the grill at the Junction Bowling Alley.

Sometimes Dad and I would go looking for some car part or for something he needed for work. These shops were so cool. Dad knows everyone and their brother, so most of the time we got to go behind the counters and into the shops themselves. I always felt so grown up. The guys working in those shops swore like sailors - right in front of me - and there were girlie calendars on the walls. Plus, I was with my dad, so I was cool by association.

When I became a father, I knew I wanted to continue that tradition. I even remember the very first time I took Gus bumming. It was the day that our dog Skeelo bit him and Kelly and I had to take him - Gus not the dog - to the emergency room. We had been talking about the two of us going bumming so much that week, that he begged me to still go.

Our first stop was the Peruvian barber shop on Montana Avenue in Santa Monica - I think there's still a photo of him (complete with a hospital bandage on his face) up on their wall of "first hair cuts" - and then to the Guitar Center in Hollywood to buy him a bongo.

In my memory, Dad and I went bumming almost every Saturday. In reality, I bet it was, at most, only a couple of times of month. But I guess the frequency didn't matter as much as just spending that special one-on-one time together hanging out. It was quality time well before any child psychologist decided dad/kid time was a good idea.

I took the boys bumming last week after our "tree leeches" hike. We had just enough time to get in a round of putt-putt golf. And we had a blast. As we drove home, I
decided that I want to take the boys bumming at least once a month - more often if we can pull it off.

Who knows, maybe when they become dads themselves, they'll want to continue the tradition with their kids.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads and papas out there...


The boys and I bumming at the putt-putt golf course.


Gus takes a swing


Niko manages the "water hazard"

1 comment:

  1. MEMORIES the Saltas sisters bummed with both parents. Mom on Saturday to Bill's Beauty Salon, lunch and then to Hughes Dress store where Aunt Mary (mom's sis worked) Dad on weekdays because of his work schedule. We would pay all the bills in person, go to the Continental Bank (now Monaco hotel) and to Grant's counter for a hot dog--especially if Diane was with him. Great time. Giver the boys all the bumming you can!

    ReplyDelete