Friday, February 8, 2013

The Faces of the Story

Television reporters strive to put a face to their stories. A reporter can stand there and tell the viewers about a dog saving a little kid, and we'll get the gist of what happened. However, if that reporter interviews the kid and her parents, we are drawn in and are more engaged.

Many of the followers of Who's Your Daddy are already aware that Gus and I were recently interviewed by Carole Mikita of KSL - our local NBC affiliate - as the "faces" of her story regarding the Boy Scouts of America potentially removing the ban on gay scouts and leaders.

After the piece ran on the 5:00 o'clock news - it also aired at 6:00 and 10:00 - I read the online comments associated with the print story on KSL's website. Most of them were pretty vile and hate-filled. I think the comments support the statement I made during the interview that the existing policy is based on fear and ignorance. I hope they responders took the time to watch Carole's TV story. If they did, I hope they were able to put faces to it - faces not of a threat, but pretty much of a typical American family.

To see the story click here

No comments:

Post a Comment