Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How is This My Karma??

Whenever I call my mom to complain about some exasperating display of behaviour by Gus or Niko, she always starts to laugh. Mom claims that I'm sowing what I reaped.

Apparently, the karma card is one grandparents like to play: When asked about the troubles the twins were giving former President Bush, Barbara Bush replied, "He's just getting what he gave."

On a certain level I suppose I understand it all. After all, even though the boys and I don't share DNA, we can be frighteningly similar. Watching Niko stubbornly dig his heels in is enough to make even me consider a paternity test.

So if there's any truth to this karma theory, I suppose stubborn, strong-willed, talkative kids are my just desserts.

What I don't understand is why I'm paying for my brother John's childhood sins. It was John, who flung himself into the air. John, who feared neither God nor man (but wisely always Mom). And John, who took a part every conceivable movable mechanism he could get his hands on.

So it's John I'm blaming for not being able to properly close my office door this evening - disabled by a missing strike plate, compliments of Gus and his screwdriver. Hmmm, now I think about it, today is John's 50th birthday...maybe he should take that paternity test. 'Course it still doesn't explain why I'm paying for his karma...

2 comments:

  1. Another meaningful article..thank you Chris.
    Elly Muth

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom's favorite is when they don't allow me any sleep!

    ReplyDelete